Application Procedure for China-U.S. High-Level Consultation on People-to-People Exchange (CPE) Study-in-China Scholarship
（ONLY FOR DEGREE PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIP）
Ocean University of China
Under the framework of the China-U.S. High-Level Consultation on People-to-People Exchange (CPE), in order to promote the long-term and stable educational cooperation and exchanges between China and U.S., especially to enhance the dialogues and exchanges between the young people, the Chinese government sets up the CPE Study-in-China Scholarship to welcome more American students to study in China. The CPE Study-in-China Scholarship was formally launched in 2010 to provide a total number of 10,000 scholarships, in forms of Degree Program Scholarship and Credit-transfer Program Scholarship. This Scholarship Program will be valid until 2013.Below application method is only applied for degree program scholarship.
Degree Program Scholarship:
In order to encourage students from U.S. to pursue Master degree or/and PhD in China, the Degree Program Scholarship will be provided to those full-time students newly enrolled in Master/Doctor degree programs by Chinese higher educational institutions which are authorized to receive international students sponsored by Chinese Government Scholarships or those who already received Bachelor/Master degree in Chinese higher educational institutions or ever studied Chinese language in China. Those who have received support from other scholarship programs will not be eligible.
Details of the Scholarship:
Degree Program Scholarship:
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, fee for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus;
- Living allowance;
- One-off settlement subsidy after registration;
- Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China.
1) Costs of the laboratory experiment or internship that beyond the university’s arrangements should be afforded by the student himself.
2) Fee for basic learning materials covers the necessary learning materials prescribed by the host institution, and other materials shall be self afforded.
3) Monthly living allowance is paid to the students by the host institution at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- Master degree students: CNY 1,700 Yuan
- Doctoral degree students: CNY 2,000 Yuan
Scholarship students shall get their monthly living allowance from the date of registration. New students who register before 15th (15th included) of the registration month will get the full amount of the living allowance of that month, and those who register after 15th will get half amount. The graduates will be given a living allowance for another 15 days after the graduation time set by the university. The allowance will be terminated from the next month after students suspend their studies, drop school or complete schooling from the university. Monthly living allowance covers school holidays. Scholarship students who do not get the monthly living allowance during holidays can get that upon return on campus. The allowance will be suspended for one month if students do not register on time without permission from the university in advance, leave for non-health reasons or are absent from the university over a month.
Students who have to suspend their studies because of serious diseases should go back to the home country and pay for the international trip by themselves. With the university’s approval, the scholarship status can be reserved for at most one year, and their living allowances will be suspended at the same time. The scholarship will be terminated for those who suspend their studies for other reasons.
4) New students will get one-off settlement subsidy upon arrival in China.
- CNY 1,000 Yuan for new students who will study in China up to six months
- CNY 1,500 Yuan for new students who will study in China for one academic year or more
5) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is provided by MOE for the scholarship students in China against hospitalizing for serious diseases and accidental injuries. The institutions or the appointed medical assistance agency provide advancement service for insurance expenses, and claim for compensation with relevant payment receipts from the insurance company according to the stipulated insurance articles. The claim of individual student will not be accepted by the insurance company.
6) International travel expenses: self-afforded.
Doctoral & Master Degree Programs:
1. Programs for Master’s degree: all Master programs are available for foreign applicants. More information, please visit our website: http://www.ouc.edu.cn/english/admission/postprogram.html
(i) Master of International Business (taught in English)
(ii) Chinese Philology, Chinese Literature History, Historical Geography, Modern and Contemporary Chinese literature
(iii) Marine Sciences (taught in English, Physical Oceanography and Marine Biology)
2. Programs for PhD/Doctoral Degree Program: all Master programs are available for foreign applicants.
- All the available Ph. D supervisors can be found in PhD Supervisor Introduction.
a) Certification of proficiency in English or Chinese (HSK Level 5) is a prerequisite to more advanced studies taught in English or Chinese. Those who hold HSK Level 6 certificate may apply for any other relevant programs (not listed herein).
b) The scholarship durations are 2-3 years for master degree students and 3-4 years for doctor degree students beginning in the September each year and ending in July.
c) In principle, the courses will be taught in Chinese. Scholarship students are required to take one-year remedial Chinese language course and pass the examinations prior to the major study if their Chinese language level is not qualified. If students take one-year Chinese language course, the duration of the scholarship will be extended for one year.
d) PhD programs and some master degree programs can be taught in English.
e) Duration for scholarship specified at the time of admission can NOT be extended in principle.
1. Applicants must be American nationals in good health.
2. Education background and age limit:
- Applicants for master degree studies must have bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35.
- Applicants for doctoral degree studies must have master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
Applicants must provide the following materials truly and correctly (in duplicate, one original copy and its photocopy).
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship. Applicants shall apply online at http://laihua.csc.edu.cn/, to Ocean University of China with its Agency No. 10423 and save application and then print application form after hand in application. Please indicate with ‘X’ in the blank chosen. Any forms that do not follow the notes will be invalid.
2. Notarized Copy of bachelor’s degree/master’s degree. If applicants are university students or already employed, they should also provide relevant documents to prove. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with translations in Chinese or English.
3. Original transcript （or a notarized copy). Applicants for Master degree program or Doctoral degree program need to provide Original transcripts (stamped by the university). Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with translations in Chinese or English.
4. A study or research plan, in Chinese or in English (no less than 800 words/ 2 pages, very important).
5. Two letters of recommendation. Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors (very important).
6. CV. The Curriculum Vitae is to introduce your education background, your experience or your publication in relative research field done before.
7. Three Photocopies of a common passport.
8. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of studies in China lasts up to six months) filled in English. The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. The medical examination results are valid for 6 months. All applicants are kindly requested to take this factor into consideration while determining the time to take the medical examination.
Note: Black ink pen or gel pen shall be used to fill all the forms. If any question in preparing the documents, please contact the Admissions Office of International Education Center.
Application should be made directly to Ocean University of China International Education Center before March 31,2012．
After receiving application, the International Education Center will begin an initial evaluation and the result will be published on its homepage. Application will then be submitted to colleges and professors for their decisions, which will be further evaluated by the Graduate School. The International Education Center will recommend a list of candidates to the Chinese Scholarship Council for approval before April 30th. Final result will be published on homepage of International Education Centre before July.15. All admission materials will be posted before July.15.
1. Applicants needs to contact a professor who will be the supervisor, providing curriculum vitae and research plan so that the professor will have a good knowledge of applicant.
2. Every item in the application form must be filled.
3. Students who are awarded the scholarship are required to register in the designated institution within the specified deadline around September 1, 2012. The privilege of the scholarship would be withdrawn if one could not register in time.
International Education Center
OCEAN UNIVERSITY OF CHINA
Address: No. 23 Eastern Hong Kong Road, Qingdao 266071, P. R. China
Telephone: 0086-532-85901555 (English) & 0086-532-85901666
E-mail: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: http://iec.ouc.edu.cn & http://www.ouc.edu.cn
Click for the attached documents:
PhD Supervisor Information
Marine Science Module Description
Programs for MA
Foreigner Physical Examination Form